300g or 2 cups fresh mushrooms - cleaned and chopped finely (I used a mix of swiss brown and white button)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
8 ounces brie cheese, torn/chopped into small pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme or dried thyme
1 - 2 bay leaf
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ cup chicken or vegetable stock
2 tbsp flour dissolved in 2 tbsp water
Salt to taste
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 ½ cup milk
½ tbsp cayenne (if you like spice)Dash of nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a sauce pan. Add butter and lightly sauté garlic on medium heat.
- Add in mushrooms, thyme, bay leaf and Worcestershire sauce. Cook over medium heat for 5 -10 minutes, or until the moisture from the mushrooms disappears.
- Add chicken to the pot, along with milk and chicken stock. Allow soup to come to a simmer, then add brie and continue stirring until it all melts – about 5 minutes.
- Add diluted flour in, and stir constantly (while simmering) until the mixture thickens. Season with salt and nutmeg. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Stir in half and half. Turn heat up high and let soup come to a boil, stirring every few minutes so cheese does not stick to the bottom. At this point, you may see some separate of stock/milk, but with a few stirs and time to simmer, the soup will come together.
- Add Cayenne (more or less depending on how spicy you like your soup)
- Once soup boils, turn it down to a simmer and allow to cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with sliced french bread. SO DELICIOUS!!